Texas Board of Criminal Justice
Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) Ombudsman
PREA Ombudsman Lynne Sharp is appointed by the Texas Board of Criminal Justice and reports directly to its chairman.
In accordance with Section 501.172 of the Texas Government Code, the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) Ombudsman coordinates the agency’s efforts to eliminate sexual assault in TDCJ correctional facilities and provides an independent office to receive and respond to allegations of sexual assault.
Responsibilities of the PREA Ombudsman
- Monitor the agency’s efforts to eliminate sexual assaults in TDCJ correctional facilities.
- Ensure the agency's policies and procedures are in compliance with federal and state laws and standards.
- Respond to public inquiries regarding allegations of sexual assault in TDCJ correctional facilities.
Reporting Sexual Assaults
Family and friends of offenders, and the general public, are encouraged to report allegations of sexual assault in TDCJ correctional facilities to the PREA Ombudsman Office, the TDCJ ombudsman coordinator or the CID Ombudsman Office. Public inquiries regarding allegations of sexual assault are referred to the PREA Ombudsman Office for investigation and response. All allegations of sexual assault are referred to the Office of Inspector General for criminal investigation.
When reporting allegations of sexual assault, please provide the following information, if possible:
- Name of the unit where the alleged victim is assigned.
- Date and time the alleged incident occurred.
- Name and TDCJ number of the alleged offender victim.
- Name and TDCJ number of the alleged assailant and witnesses.
- A brief summary of the allegation.
- Copies of any correspondence that could assist in the investigation.
PREA Ombudsman Publications
PREA Ombudsman Office
P.O. Box 99, Huntsville, TX 77342-0099
(936) 437-2133 office
(936) 437-6981 fax