Business and Finance Division
Accounting & Business Services Department
Accounting Services Department
Provides a wide variety of data management and reporting for the following areas:
- administration of bank cards for corporate travel, procurement, and fleet fuel
- employee housing and utility billing
- property and asset management
- salvage/recycling reporting
- consumable and other inventory accounting, reconciliation and reporting
- construction accounting, including construction-in-progress
- fuel consumption processing
Traditional accounting activities and services such as auditing, process reviews, account coding, and record keeping are additional functions.
To ensure fiscal responsibility through the monitoring of Procurement Cardholders and TDCJ facilities/locations adherence to TDCJ rules, regulations, policies and practices.
Our Mission is accomplished through:
- Performing the in-house Procurement Card Monthly Audit to identify non-compliant practices. Letters of Non-Compliance are sent to Division Directors including the finding and corrective action needed to prevent reoccurrence.
- Performing the Division Level Operational Review Audit of each TDCJ facility/location on a rotating schedule. Auditing Services serves as the "functional area proponent" for the following areas: Property Accountability, Unit Fund, Unit Clearing Fund Transactions, Procurement Cards, Fuel Credit Cards and Bulk Fuel Inventory.
- Providing training and technical assistance.
- Coordinating and producing the finished reports for all Senior Warden Change Review Audits.
Financial Systems and Reporting
The responsibilities of the Financial Systems and Reporting Branch include:
- Preparation of the Annual Financial Report, the Annual Report of Other Required Information, the Facility Operational Cost Estimates for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and other cost analyses.
- Maintaining the General Ledger Accounting System (LONESTARS) for the Agency and our Agency's General Ledger in the Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS).
- Accountability for the maintenance and continued development of the Accounting System (LONESTARS) for this Agency. Maintain and monitor user access in both the Agency's financial system and Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts Systems.
- Accountability for Funds Management which includes:
- Reconciliation of all active appropriations in LONESTARS and USAS.
- The transferring of funds and any other transfers as necessary or required between governmental entities.
- Prepare periodic reports as requested by the State Comptroller of Public Accounts, Texas Board of Criminal Justice and the Internal Revenue Service.