Items allowed inside the secured perimeter of a unit:
- A small wallet, clear plastic bag (Ziploc® type) or change purse
- $25 cash (in coins) – Vending machines are available in the visitation areas.
- Offender visitors with infants or small children may bring no more than three diapers, a supply of baby wipes, and two baby bottles (“sippy” cup for toddlers). These items shall be stored in a clear plastic bag.
Items not allowed inside the secured perimeter of a unit:
Any food items, purses, diaper bags, briefcases, cameras, baby strollers, toys, dolls, photographs or photograph albums, paper money, knives, drugs, medication (exceptions are granted regarding prescribed medications on a case-by-case basis), tobacco, lighters, matches, cell phones, pagers, laptop computers, cameras, digital recorders or any other type of electronic/wireless devices, or any other non-authorized items.
Items not allowed on TDCJ property:
- Any intoxicating beverages (i.e., a beverage containing any amount of alcohol or drugs used for the purpose of altering one’s mental state);
- Any controlled substance (as defined by Section 481.002, Texas Health and Safety Code) or dangerous drugs (as defined by Section 483.001, Texas Health and Safety Code) and not otherwise permitted by Article 38.11, Texas Penal Code;
- Any firearm or instrument customarily used or designed to be used as a dangerous weapon or having explosive substance. A person who is licensed under Chapter 411, Subchapter H, Texas Government Code to carry a handgun, may possess the handgun on TDCJ property if the unloaded gun is in a: locked weapons box in a locked vehicle; locked compartment of a locked vehicle; trunk of a locked vehicle with a locking device attached to the firearm; or locked vehicle with the firearm concealed from view and a locking device attached to the firearm; and
- Any instrument that may be used in affecting or attempting to affect an escape.
All vehicles on TDCJ property are subject to search. All individuals shall ensure all vehicle doors, windows, and trunks are secured and locked. The beds of trucks shall be free of garden tools, clothes, or anything that could be used as a weapon or aide in an escape. All tools in the bed of the truck shall be secured.