You, as mentor, may also have some unrealistic
expectations of mentoring.
- Others will accept the offender as you. In fact, you may have to help
your mentee cope with rejection.
- Your mentee can make good decisions. Past decisions have not all been
good and you cannot assume they will make good decisions in the future.
- The mentee will communicate with you outside prison the same as they
communicated when inside.
- You will not have all the answers. You should not let them expect
you to have all the answers.
- Mentee will take all your suggestions.
- Your mentee will know how to keep appointments.
- Your mentee has “normal” thinking patterns.
- Being in chapel will assure them of success.