Transportation and Supply
Transportation & Supply includes: Fleet & Freight Transportation and Warehousing & Supply.
Fleet & Freight Transportation
Fleet & Freight Transportation has four freight terminals and six mechanical operations located in Beeville, Huntsville, Tennessee Colony, Rosharon and Snyder. The department is responsible for the management and supervision of TDCJ transportation, mechanical needs, planning and forecasting equipment needs, emergency wrecker services for the TDCJ; managing the acquisition and maintenance service of TDCJ passenger vehicles, buses, tractor trucks, trailers and equipment; providing transportation through motor pools or vehicle assignments to TDCJ staff; and overseeing the evaluation of salvage vehicles and trailers.
The freight terminals are responsible for transporting goods, planning the shipping and distribution requirements for the TDCJ, providing safety education training for employees and offenders, and coordinating the transportation and receipt of goods with customers.
The department has oversight of more than 2,100 licensed vehicles as well as several thousand trailers and other equipment. The state's online vehicle management system has the ability to measure how effectively TDCJ uses its fleet of licensed vehicles.
In fiscal year (FY) 2015, Fleet & Freight Transportation managed a fleet of 200 trucks and 450 trailers. Also, during the fiscal year, the dispatch offices coordinated more than 27,000 freight hauls, and logged approximately 6 million miles.
Warehousing & Supply
Warehousing & Supply has eight warehouses located in Beeville, Childress, Huntsville, Navasota, Rosharon, and Snyder. In FY 2015 the warehouses had an average inventory of more than $23 million and maintained 2,918 items in stock. Approximately $159 million in supplies were distributed from food warehouses, the Prison Store and other facilities during the fiscal year. Responsibilities include:
- Manage the TDCJ’s annual distribution of supplies.
- Dry, cold, and frozen food,
- Texas Correctional Industries’ produced goods,
- Agribusiness, Land & Minerals Division produced goods, and
- Facilities Division maintenance supplies.
- Manage eight warehouses.
- Central Region Warehouse, TDCJ Administrative Complex, Huntsville, Texas
- Chase Field/Beeville Distribution Center, Chase Field Complex, Beeville, Texas
- Childress Distribution Center, Roach Unit, Childress, Texas
- Huntsville Prison Store, TDCJ Administrative Complex, Huntsville, Texas
- Pack Surplus Warehouse, Pack Unit, Navasota, Texas
- Snyder Distribution Center, Daniel Unit, Snyder, Texas
- Southern Region Distribution Center, Stringfellow Unit, Rosharon, Texas
- Wynne Food Service Warehouse, Wynne Unit, Huntsville, Texas
For More Information
Texas Department of Criminal Justice
Transportation & Supply
P.O. Box 4013
Huntsville, Texas 77342-0099
[Return to Manufacturing & Logistics Home]