Transportation and Supply
What We Do
The Fleet department has four mechanical shops located in Beeville, Huntsville, and Tennessee Colony. Fleet has oversight of more than 2,200 licensed vehicles as well as several thousand trailers and other equipment. The state’s online vehicle management system has the ability to measure how effectively TDCJ uses its fleet of licensed vehicles. Responsibilities include:
- Management and supervision of TDCJ transportation and mechanical operations.
- Plan and forecast equipment needs.
- Manage acquisition of TDCJ vehicles, trailers and equipment.
- Provide mechanical and maintenance service for TDCJ vehicles, farm equipment, and heavy equipment.
- Provide TDCJ employees with transportation services through motor pools or vehicle assignments.
- Oversee the disposal of salvage vehicles.
Provide emergency wrecker service to TDCJ vehicles.
Freight Transportation has four freight terminals and two diesel mechanical shops located in Beeville, Huntsville, Snyder, and Sugar Land. In FY 2012 Freight Transportation managed a fleet of 200 trucks and 430 heavy trailers. Also during the fiscal year, the dispatch offices coordinated more than 28,000 freight hauls, and logged approximately 6 million miles. Responsibilities include:
- Transport goods for the TDCJ.
- Plan the shipping and distribution requirements for TDCJ.
- Provide safety education training for employees and offenders.
- Coordinate the shipping, transporting and receiving of goods with customers.
Warehousing & Supply
Warehousing & Supply has eight warehouses located in Beeville, Childress, Huntsville, Navasota, Snyder, and Sugar Land. In FY 2012 the warehouses had an average inventory of more than $23 million and maintained 2,947 items in stock. Approximately $154 million in supplies were distributed to food warehouses, the Prison Store and other facilities during the fiscal year. Responsibilities include:
- Manage the TDCJ’s annual distribution of supplies.
- Dry, cold and frozen food
- Texas Correctional Industries’ produced goods
- Agribusiness, Land & Minerals Division produced goods
- Facilities Division construction and maintenance supplies
- General consumable supplies
- Manage eight warehouses.
- Central Region Warehouse, TDCJ Administrative Complex, Huntsville, Texas
- Chase Field/Beeville Distribution Center, Chase Field Complex, Beeville, Texas
- Childress Distribution Center, Roach Unit, Childress, Texas
- Huntsville Prison Store, TDCJ Administrative Complex, Huntsville, Texas
- Pack Surplus Warehouse, Pack Unit, Navasota, Texas
- Region III Distribution Center, Sugar Land, Texas
- Snyder Distribution Center, Daniel Unit, Snyder, Texas
- Wynne Food Service Warehouse, Wynne Unit, Huntsville, Texas
For More Information
Texas Department of Criminal Justice
Transportation and Supply
P.O. Box 4013
Huntsville, Texas 77342-0099
[Return to Manufacturing & Logistics Home]