WHAT IS CLEMENCY?
The Governor has authority to grant clemency upon written recommendation of a majority of the Board of Pardons and Paroles. Clemency includes:
- Full pardons after conviction,
- Full pardons after successful completion of a term of deferred adjudication community supervision,
- Conditional pardons,
- Pardons based on innocence,
- Commutations of sentence,
- Emergency medical reprieves, and
- Family medical reprieves
PRINTABLE CLEMENCY APPLICATION FORMS (link to forms)
In capital cases, clemency includes a commutation of sentence to a lesser penalty and a reprieve of execution. The Governor may grant a one-time reprieve of execution, not to exceed thirty (30) days, without a Board recommendation..